November 27, 2017
Trey Haddad, President
Ken Patterson, Vice President
Dave Gallaher, Treasurer
Galen Tripp, Sergeant at Arms
Barbara Johnson-Haddad, Secretary
held at the Black Bear Diner, Milpitas
Was called to order at 20:00 with 20 people in attendance
Minutes of meeting #1425 were performed by JC, and were accepted as “Probably where he was last week.”
The con is Sherlocked (not Sherlock)
Diasies Theater (not Davey)
It’s the Meshuganutcracker (not Meshugananutcracker)
The Treasurer reported that at meeting #1425 the Regular Jar took in $12.75 ($15,290.47) and the Party Jar took in $5.72 ($ -37.71)
The VP had nothing fannish to report.
The President was MIA with the secretary.
The Sports Committee: Looking at an outing to the SF Giants, but not be on the first Friday of May (too much going on).
1. BAGH is having holiday meet & greet 12/9 $21 at the Hayes Mansion ($25 at the door). Door prizes, including a WC76 Membership! January 13th, a downtown Napa ghost walk - to help attract more business after the Fires. Napa Mayor will be joining the ghost walk, followed by a stop at Joe’s for food ($23.50 in advance, $25 at the door if space permits).
1. Carole said that Healdsburg seems to be doing fine. Communities are bouncing back.
2. SMOFCON is this weekend. The weather has been in the 30s, and rain is expected. Pack accordingly.
1. This Wednesday SETI talk at the SRI in Menlo Park about The Kepler Mission.
1. 340 days so far that [redacted] has been an [redacted].
1. Heroes and Villains San Jose is this Weekend 12/2 & 12/3. One big room, some big names.
1. JohnO. Keep an eye on their site and FB feed for deals.
1. Book fair at Fremont HS (Sunnyvale) Saturday. Local authors will have a table.
1. Sac Fan Elaine Gregory (ST & DW) passed away.
1. This past weekend Suzanne Pope passed away.
2. This coming Saturday, December 2 is the KFJC Psychotronix Film Festival. 7 pm in room 5015 on the Foothill College Campus. http://www.kfjc.org/promotions/psychotronix/index.php
1. Dickens Faire. (JC, Beth, Melissa and the knuckleheads). Went in costumes. Need to up their AC. Well set up, with store fronts. Characters interacting with people. Father Christmas and Queen Victoria had processions. $30/person seems a pit steep.
1. Beth: Shopping was under control, except for a young lady who found the top piece for a prom dress that may be more than a full prom dress.
2. SpecialK: Most places only took cash.
3. Adrienne does not recommend the Chocolate Egg Nog - too rich!
1. Missing Los Con for a family Thanksgiving. Carole’s family had a gathering in Healdsburg. Got to explore some of the local shops and wineries. Had a good time. The demise of the wine country has been greatly exaggerated. Family activates were very enjoyable.
1. Sonoma Cider in Healdsburg. Tried a flight of 6 and really liked 2 of them. With a visit for cider folk.
1. Marathoned 6 seasons of Longmire. Not SF, but western with some fantastical elements. Good stories.
1. Candy: Sheriff should be a Sheriff of a county not a town.
1. Pat: Law enforcement titles are governed by the jurisdiction.
2. Finished the Osage Indian Murder. True story. Gruesome.
3. Watched some Gifted and Runaway. Will give them a few more episodes.
4. Likes that Flash added the Elongated Man. Will be watching.
1. Hooked on This is Us. (Not SF) Has some of the best writing. Great show. Love it.
2. Sean Pertwee’s instagram is fantastic.
1. Murder on the Orient Express. Really good. Full price. Had not had any experience with the story before. Figured it out before the end. Not all the clues available to the viewer. Beautiful cinematography. Filmed some on the Orient Express route. Good acting. Poirot’s mustache is it’s own character at times. Worth two times.
1. Pat: A Christie aficionado. Read it, seen film version. Went to enjoy it and did. Michelle Pfiffer steals the show. Brannagh comes between Suschet and Finney.
2. TerryTerry: An old fart, let the continuity of dressing was like the ‘30s. Some of the costumes were antiques. Enjoyed the details.
1. Pat: The story is set 1934 per the caption at the start.
1. Thursday had a very nice quiet Thanksgiving dinner with 4 family dinners. Afterwards Ken & Jerry Brough over Bears vs. Babies. Delightful, whole lot of fun. Game is available Target in the fur lined box. Also played JackBox4 which has Fibbage: Enough About You.
1. OryCon. Was a very good con, good panels. Getting used to a new facility. Art show room was wonderful, widows and full of light. Dealers room was a little more hidden. Split a table with Valerie and his usual bookseller. Sold all 6 at Valerie’s table - where he sat at - and only 1 at the dealer. Good con, lot of fun. Dead dog want on till late in the morning.
1. Gayle: Science programming was excellent. Panel on the eclipse.
There was an auction.
The Meeting adjourned at: 21:17 and the rumor of the week was: Murder on the BASFA Express.